Our School » MVMS History

MVMS History

Welcome to the Mt. Valley Middle School, a campus rich in history; a campus poised for excellence!

Mt. Valley School had its beginning as the Jacob’s Creek School in 1867, long before Comal ISD was established in 1956. Oscar Friedrich gave land “in the corner of the Guadalupe River and the so-called Jacob’s Creek, for a school and residence and field for the teacher.” As settlers moved further up the river, and to have the school centrally located, John Marshall in 1874 conveyed land in Sattler to Fritz Krause, Fritz Pantermuehl and Joachim Pantermuehl and the name of the school was changed to Mt. Valley School. In the 1950s it was the last school known as a one-teacher school in the county.

The present-day Mt. Valley School first opened in 1974 with grades 1st through 8th. In 1986, the school was renamed Mt. Valley Elementary with grades prekindergarten through 4th. A decade later, in 1996, Mt. Valley Intermediate School opened next door with grades 5th and 6th. Earlier this decade, the two schools “merged” under one principal and one name and became known as Mt Valley School once again.

The campus was shut down for remodeling from the summer of 2007 through the summer of 2008 and is now home to 6th, 7th and 8th graders who live around the shores of Canyon Lake. The Mt. Valley Middle School Hawks, along with Startzville Elementary, Rebecca Creek Elementary, Mt. Valley Elementary and Canyon Lake High School, complete the CLHS feeder pattern.